Running an agency is tough, but invaluable lessons can be learned from those who've spent years growing in the trenches. In this episode I sat down with Jon Tsourakis, a veteran agency owner of over 15 years, who doesn't look a day over 30. (Had to say that in case he reads this).
As the founder of Oyova, Jon has led his digital marketing agency from humble beginnings to a thriving team of 30. He's made mistakes, evolved his offerings, and learned countless tips for building an agency poised for longevity.
In an honest, insightful conversation, Jon shares the failures, adaptations, and wins he's experienced on his agency journey. Expect hard-won advice on finding your niche, leading remote teams, bouncing back from burnout, building community, and having the flexibility to grow successfully.
Jon provides actionable tips for fellow agency owners looking to develop competitive businesses and create cultures of excellence. Tune in to pick up battle-tested lessons from an agency leader who's spent over a decade pushing ahead.
We recorded this podcast live, so if you'd prefer to watch you can do so on YouTube.
Here are my key takeaways from our conversation:
- Be willing to pivot your offerings over time to focus on your core strengths and profitability. Don't be afraid to stop doing services that aren't working.
- Build a network of partners to provide services outside your niche. Refer business both ways.
- When hiring, look for people aligned with your values who will fit your culture versus just skills.
- Foster open communication by asking for team input and feedback. Apply their advice when possible.
- Support work-life balance for employees by embracing remote work options. Don't force rigid in-office policies.
- Learn from failures quickly, course correct, and move on. Don't dwell on past mistakes.
- Join a mastermind or peer community for inspiration, problem-solving, and partnerships. Agency life is hard work, we all need support.